It’s a beautiful day, the sun is shining, the wind is hardly blowing, and you are ready to hit the open road for a day of riding. Before taking off there are a few things you need to do to ensure your motorcycle is as ready as you are to hit the road.
Pre-Ride Motorcycle Inspection
TCLOCS is an acronym that helps to cover the bike from stem to stern, for a quick inspection:
T- Tires and Wheels
- Tires- Check tread depth, wear and air pressure
- Wheels- See if any spokes are loose or if the rim is bent or cracked. See if it turns freely, but is not loose on the axle.
- Inspect levers. Verify they are not bent or broken and move easily.
- Check cables for fraying and lubricate them.
- Check hoses for cracks, leaks, bulges, and chaffed areas
- Make sure the throttle moves freely. Closes easily. Lube if needed.
L- Lights & Electrics
- Check that the battery terminals are clean and tight and that the electrolyte level is correct. Plus make sure the vent tube is hooked to the vent outlet and not kinked
- Check the turn signals and brake lights for proper operation. Make sure the lenses are not cracked or broken
- Headlight- Check for proper operation and alignment
O- Oil Levels
Check engine oil level plus transmission and primary drive fluid levels
- Steering Head-Move handlebars back and forth to check for tight spots or binding.
- Hold the front brake and rock the bike front to back to check for any free play in the neck bearings.
- Suspension- Check the front forks and the rear shocks for smooth travel and right air pressure (If equipped)
- Belt- Check tension and visually inspect for any rocks or other objects stuck in it.
- Fasteners- Check for any loose nuts or bolts and tighten if needed
Side stand- Check for ease of operation and spring action.
A pre-ride inspection should not take more than a few minutes. If it is done before every ride, it can help you identify potential issues before they become a larger problem or safety hazard.
To help you get ready to ride download and complete the MSF’s T-CLOCS inspection checklist by clicking here.